Learning Objectives: Taking notes this way helps you:
- Read like a Writer
- Internalize Essay Structure
- Practice the MOVES of Integrating Sources
- Create a “backwards” outline of what the essay says/does
- Invent for Essay Drafting (you can use your summaries and paraphrases in your essays).
- Make Five Guesses as to the Title
- Summarize the Introduction (use a signal phrase).
- Identify the Topic Sentence of EACH body paragraph. Then PARAPHRASE it. Use signal phrases every time!
- Summarize the Conclusion. Use a signal phrase.
Please post your notes as a blog entry, using this format, on the essay “What if the Secret to Success is Failure?” by Sunday night the 21st before midnight.